Monday, July 13, 2009

The Infectious Indie

A friend of mine recently sent me this video, "Ode to the Indie," from Current TV. Check it out:



When I first watched this I had a good laugh at all the indie film stereotypes the video pokes fun at: people with weird names, bearded intellectuals, sped-up or slow motion, bragging about favorite bands, "melancholy ecstasy," hand-drawn fonts, etc. Then I realized I've seen almost every movie that's featured in the video.

I'll admit it. I'm an indie film junkie. Every time I see a preview for a film with any of the characteristics mentioned in that video, I'm just itching to see it. I can even think of a few films that fit some of the stereotypes the video mentions that were left out of the montage. I realize, as the video so astutely points out, a lot of indie films share many of the same qualities. Yet even if the trailer for an indie seems similar to one I've already seen, I still feel a little ping of curiosity, like I might be missing something if I don't check out this latest indie too. This genre is infectious to me.

So what is it about the indie film that draws me in? For one, in a good indie film, I feel very drawn to the characters. My favorite indies are character-driven pieces that examine, in their own offbeat way, the complexities of human relationships. The stories and characters of indie films are quirky enough to seem a little different and intriguing, but at the same time the emotions those characters experience are very easy to relate to.

I think this is done particularly well in my personal trifecta of indie favorites: "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind," "Garden State" and "Once." There's something a little unconventional about each of the core couples in these films, but the way they open up to each other and grow together is a journey I enjoy watching. "Adventureland" is a recent film that I think captures the nuances of the emotion behind friendships and relationships beautifully.

And while I concede to the video's point that people in indies often feel the need to make non-chalant references to their favorite bands (Natalie Portman's insistance in "Garden State" that The Shins "will change your life, I swear" springs to mind), I think the music in many of these films does add something to their emotional impact.

Zach Braff is someone who I think really understands how good music can capture the mood of a scene for the audience and move the emotion of that scene forward. "Garden State" wouldn't be as great of a film if it weren't for the soundtrack Braff hand-picked to supplement his storytelling. "Once" and "Juno" use this tactic to their advantage as well. And if the early reviews for "500 Days of Summer" are any indication, that film will likely join the ranks of indie soundtrack greatness.

This isn't to say that I'm charmed by all indies. "Margot at the Wedding" is one that I certainly don't have any desire to see again. In that film, the characters are so filled with misery, so narcissistic, so devoid of any redeeming qualities that they are impossible to relate to. One leaves that movie feeling the same misery those characters feel, without one single shred of happiness. A film like "Rachel Getting Married," on the other hand, captures the misery that can emcompass a family affected by addiction yet still shows that no matter how many problems a family has, love is still there whether you want it to be or not. This single difference makes the film infinitely more relatable.

I recently came across a quote from Jessamyne West, "Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." To me, a good indie film, through its unique brand of storytelling, makes me think about elements of my own life. Certainly not every indie film has the ability to do this. But the ones that do have a certain charm that I can't stay away from, no matter how much they fit the stereotypical indie mold.

1 comment:

Monica said...

Omigosh! I was the friend that sent you this!